UCLA Students: Only regularly enrolled UCLA students may apply for admission to the Communication Studies major. Students must have at least 45 letter-graded units completed at UCLA by the close of Summer Session A (7/31/15) with a minimum of 2 UCLA letter-graded courses from the major requirements, either lower or upper division. It is not necessary to complete all of the lower division courses before applying. All work pertaining to the major must be taken for a letter grade.
- There is no minimum grade point average required for admission.
- Admission decisions are based solely on the current year's pool of applicants.
- The Admission Committee's criteria for acceptance are overall academic proficiency and courses relevant to the major. Please see this letter from the Chair explaining how the application process has changed and to view the essay questions.
The Communication Studies Application will be available on June 1, 2015 at 11:00 a.m. and will close on June 30, 2015 at 4:00 p.m. ***THE APPLICATION PERIOD HAS CLOSED***
The Admissions Committee will arrange to receive your UCLA transcripts from the Registrar through the end of Summer Session A 2015.
Notification regarding admission will be available online by logging back into the Admission page beginning Wednesday, August 19 at 3pm.
- Students not admitted at the sophomore or junior level may reapply the following year.
- If you have 140 units or more, please consult with a counselor before applying.
- Prospective double majors must be independently accepted into the CS Department; there is no automatic acceptance.
- The Admissions Committee gives detailed attention to every application it receives, and its decisions each year are final. Other than to correct an error in the information it originally evaluated, the Admissions Committee is not able to comply with appeals from applicants for a second review.
Please DO NOT submit letters of recommendation — they will not be accepted.
Transfer Students: To be considered as a transfer student for admission from community college, applicants must have a minimum 3.7 GPA at the time of application. You must have a minimum of 60 semester or 90 quarter transferable units with at least four of the following seven lower division requirement courses completed by the end of fall quarter prior to transfer: Communication Studies 10 or one interpersonal communication and one mass communication course (please refer to www.assist.org and note that in some cases two courses are required to fulfill the requirement), one public address course, one linguistics course, one statistics course, and three courses from psychology, American government, sociology, and microeconomics or political economy.
Please refer to the UCLA Transfer Admission Guide for up-to-date information regarding transfer selection for admission: http://www.admissions.ucla.edu/prospect/Adm_tr/tradms.htm
www.assist.org for any questions regarding articulating courses to UCLA.