UCLA Students: Only regularly enrolled UCLA students may apply for admission to the Communication Studies major. Students must have at least 45 letter-graded units completed at UCLA by the close of Summer Session A (8/4/17) with a minimum of 2 UCLA letter-graded courses from the major requirements, either lower or upper division. It is not necessary to complete all of the lower division courses before applying. All work pertaining to the major must be taken for a letter grade.
- There is no minimum grade point average required for admission.
- Admission decisions are based solely on the current year's pool of applicants.
- The Admission Committee's criteria for acceptance are overall academic proficiency and courses relevant to the major. Please click here for more information on the application process and to view the essay questions.
- Students not admitted at the sophomore or junior level may reapply the following year.
- If you have 140 units or more, please consult with a counselor before applying.
- Prospective double majors must be independently accepted into the CS Department; there is no automatic acceptance.
- Please keep in mind that Communication Studies is an extremely competitive major so it is recommended to have a back-up major in place.
- The Admissions Committee gives detailed attention to every application it receives, and its decisions each year are final. Other than to correct an error in the information it originally evaluated, the Admissions Committee is not able to comply with appeals from applicants for a second review.
Please DO NOT submit letters of recommendation — they will not be accepted.
Transfer Students: To be considered as a transfer student for admission from community college, applicants must have a minimum 3.7 GPA at the time of application. You must have a minimum of 60 semester or 90 quarter transferable units with at least four of the following seven lower division requirement courses completed with a letter grade by the end of fall quarter prior to transfer: Communication Studies 10 or one interpersonal communication and one mass communication course (please refer to www.assist.org and note that in some cases two courses are required to fulfill the requirement), one public address course, one linguistics course, one statistics course, and three courses from psychology, American government, sociology, and microeconomics or political economy.
PLEASE NOTE: An Advanced Placement (AP) score of 4 or higher can be used in place of the major prep course for the Statistics, Psychology or Microeconomics requirements but will NOT count towards the minimum four letter graded prep courses by the end of Fall semester prior to transfer for a valid application.
Please refer to the UCLA Transfer Admission Guide for up-to-date information regarding transfer selection for admission: http://www.admissions.ucla.edu/prospect/Adm_tr/tradms.htm
www.assist.org for any questions regarding articulating courses to UCLA.
TRANSFER APPLICATION DEADLINE: Please note that the deadline for transfer students applying to the Communication Studies major for Fall 2017 has been extended to Tuesday, January 3, 2017. Please refer to UCLA Admissions for more information.