Congratulations! The Faculty and Staff of the Department of Communication Studies are looking forward to sharing this wonderful occasion with you.
The Department Ceremony will be held in Royce Hall on Sunday, June 18th, 2017 from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. This is the only graduation ceremony at which you’ll be individually recognized.
To Prepare for Graduation:
- Declare your Degree Expected Term via MyUCLA (http://my.ucla.edu).
- Set up an appointment with Pia Svenson to make sure you’ve completed all your requirements for C.S.
Prior to Graduation Day:
- Refer to the College Commencement Contact Information web page for general information, timeline and key dates.
- Check announcements posted to MyUCLA.
- Attend one of the graduation workshops offered through the College. To view the workshop schedule, visit MyUCLA and click on the “services” button at the top of the page.
- Complete the "College Senior Survey" available on your MyUCLA.*
- Order your cap, gown, and tassel from Graduation Etc.
- Online ticket ordering begins on Tuesday, April 25 at 12:00 p.m. and ends on Tuesday, May 9 at 11:59 p.m.
- Tickets will be available for pickup from the Central Ticket Office between Tuesday, May 16 at 10:00 a.m. and Friday, June 9 at 3:00 p.m.
Each student is given four complimentary tickets for the C.S. Ceremony. An additional four tickets per student are available at $12.00/each. You will also have the option to be wait-listed for two additional tickets. The actual number of additional tickets beyond these 10, if any, will not be known until after the initial requests have been processed. Tickets are ordered through MyUCLA for college and departmental graduation ceremonies. For additional information on how to order tickets visit the commencement website.
Order tickets for your guests ONLY - you do not need a ticket for yourself. It is mandatory that each of your guests have a ticket in hand for our ceremony. Anyone without a ticket will be refused admission by the Campus Events Office Staff.
Depending on how many tickets are ordered by all students, there may be extras available. If you would like additional tickets to the C.S. Ceremony, e-mail Jane Bitar with your name, I.D.# and the number of EXTRA tickets you need (outside of what is ordered online).
*IMPORTANT: You will not be able to submit ticket requests for Commencement Weekend 2016 until you complete the "College Senior Survey."
- Parking passes are available for purchase from the Parking Office prior to or on the day of the event
- Students or guests with disabilities should contact the Office of Students with Disabilities; (310) 825-1501 voice; (310) 206-6083 TDD, after May 3rd to receive information about parking and other assistance.
On Graduation Day:
- You need to arrive by 10:00 a.m. The ceremony will start promptly at 10:30 a.m.
- Assemble in cap and gown at the west side of Royce Hall auditorium.
- Graduates will be asked to sit together in a special separate section.
- Seating is unreserved. Doors will open at 10:00 a.m.
- GradImages will provide professional photography services at the ceremony. They will provide you with a name card to fill out. To avoid mispronunciation, write a phonetic version of your name on the back of the card.
During the Graduation Ceremony:
- You will walk onto the stage and hand your card to the member of our faculty who is waiting to introduce you.
- After your name is announced, you will walk across the stage toward the Department Chair, shake her hand, then step down and return to your seat.
- Two photos will be taken: (1) as you shake hands with the Chair and (2) right before you step down from the stage.
E-mail Jane Bitar if you have any questions.